Are you looking to buy a Chimney and want to learn all about it? Then, you are at the right place. We have written a detailed Chimney Buying Guide here for you. Even if you are an absolute newbie in buying home appliances and stuff, worry not. We got you covered with everything you need to know before buying a Chimney.
So do we need a Chimney?
The answer to this question is straightforward. Yes, if you are someone who has a small kitchen and needs some ventilation, then Chimney will change your life.
Even otherwise, having a Chimney is a good option for you. Smoke is one of the major causes of lung cancer, and by cooking in the kitchen, we are exposed to a lot of Smoke daily. So, to chuck that Smoke out and provide you with a better cooking environment, a chimney is a good option.
Okay, now what should I know before buying a Chimney?
Things to consider before buying a Chimney
- Size: The Size of the Chimney is one of the major factors you need to consider. Most Chimneys come in 60cm and 90cms. All you’ve got to do is, measure your kitchen size and choose one that is suitable for you. If you have a smaller kitchen, choose the 60cm one.
- Suction: Suction is yet another factor that is very important to consider while buying a Chimney. The suction is the speed at which the Chimney chucks out the Smoke. It is the one factor that determines the efficiency of the Chimney. Chimneys do come with a lot of Suction Capacity, from 800 cubic metres to even upto 1500 cubic metres. You can go ahead and choose the suction capacity according to your needs. If you do much frying in the kitchen almost every day, you can opt for higher suction Chimneys.
- Type: 3 major types of Chimney are available in the market these days.
- Wall-mounted: As the name suggests, you can mount it to the wall, and it is best suited for smaller houses where the kitchen is even smaller.
- Island Chimney: It is suited for a bigger kitchen as it must be installed right at the centre. So if you have a spacious and bigger kitchen, you can opt for it.
- Built-in or Prefabricated: As the name says, it is the Chimney which is built, and you don’t have to do much to it. It is built already, and you don’t have to make any changes or anything to that.
- Duct: The duct is nothing but the tube-like thing that comes with the Chimney used to send out the Smoke and other particles. Some Chimneys do not come with a duct which are called Ductless Chimneys which you can use if you want a neater looking kitchen and when you don’t have much space to install a Chimney with the duct.
- Maintenance: Maintaining a Chimney is a hectic task, and we can’t deny that. So clean it now and then. Also, make sure that there are Auto Clean Chimneys that make cleaning easier for you these days.
- Additional features: There are some additional features that you can look for to have an even better experience. Some Chimneys come with touch Sensors, Motion sensors, Auto clean, etc.., which can be beneficial for you.
How does a Chimney work?
A Chimney has suction which chucks out the Smoke from the kitchen, leaving the kitchen fresh and smoke-free.
It also collects the excess oil and ensures that the oil doesn’t enter the motor, which protects it from damage.
The Chimney also comes with filters that block any impurity from entering inside the Chimney.
Types Of Chimneys
1. Baffle Filter Chimney
The Baffle Filter Chimney is the most popular Chimney type available in India. The Baffle filter is usually made of stainless steel or Aluminium, which filters the Smoke and ensures no impurity enters the Chimney or stays.
2. Filterless Chimneys
As the name suggests, these are Chimneys that do not have any filters. It is designed so that it does not need any filter to run. It is specifically made for very busy people who do not have the time to maintain the Chimney frequently. Since they do not come with filters, it is easier for you to maintain them.
3. Auto-Clean Chimneys
Another popular Chimney is the Auto Clean filter. They do not need you to clean them as they clean themselves, which makes your job easier. If you want convenience, then you can go ahead and choose Auto Clean Chimney.
There are a lot of features that Chimneys come with. However, the most popular features are:
- Touch Panel
Most Chimneys these days come with a Touch Panel right at the top so that we can easily operate the Chimney with just a click of a button.
- Motion Sensor
Chimneys do come with a Motion Sensor, which means you can control the setting of the Chimney through just your hand movements. The Chimney turns on when you move your hand to the right, and Chimney’s speed increases when you wave it right side and continue waving to increase the speed. Wave your hand to the left to reduce the speed and keep waving to the left to reduce it further.
- LED Lamps
Most of the Chimneys also come with LED lamps that light up the kitchen. These lamps are most energy-efficient, and they consume very less energy. How cool, right?
- Push Speed Buttons
The Chimneys have Push Speed or Push Control buttons which is nothing but a button used to control the speed of the Chimney.
- Filter Block Indicators
The Chimneys do have Filter Block indicators which indicate you can easily wash them off or even maintain them easily.
Chimneys have Digital Display or LED display which displays the basic info like speed, Filter Block, etc, which lets you easily see all the info.
There are a few brands that offer Noise-less Chimneys too. If operating noise is your concern, you can check those out.
Chimneys usually do have some noise during operation, which is bearable. The average noise level of Chimneys is 58 to 65db.
Chimneys need a motor to function, and some brands even offer a motor with copper so that it is even more durable. Most Chimneys have 1 year warranty or 5-year warranty, and some brands even offer a 12-year motor warranty. So make sure to check that out before purchasing a Chimney.
- After-Sale Service and Support
Not all brands offer After Sales support. Some brands do provide After-sales support but with some changes. So if you are someone who needs that, please check for the After-sales in the product you are choosing.
Maintenance of Chimney
Maintenance is very important not just for Chimney but any appliance for that matter. Chimneys last you longer if you maintain them well.
- Make sure to wipe it off every now and then.
- Chuck out the oil collector cup and make sure to clean it as well.
- Clean and maintain the filters as often as you can.
- If you are a newbie, you can opt for professional cleaning services too.
Chimney doesn’t consume much power, to be honest. It consumes about 100 to 200 Watts on average.
Chimneys are available in all price ranges, and you can pick a budget that works the best for you.
They fall in the price range between 5,000 to 40,000 and much more, too, depending upon the features and the specs they offer.
Of Course, the 5,000 range Chimney has much fewer features than the high-end ones. And vice versa.
Most Chimney brands do offer installation services too. Some brands offer it for free, while some do charge some money for the same too. It costs you anywhere between 1000 to 2500 for the installation.
You need to install the Chimney, the duct and everything, which is quite a hectic task, and we recommend you to call for professionals and not by yourself to be on the safer side.
Now that you have read about everything that you need to know about Chimneys, you can confidently make your purchase. If there is a single piece of advice from us, then make sure to note down every little requirement that you have in mind from your budget, your kitchen size, your cooking type and everything so that it will be easier for you to narrow down to the product that perfectly matches your requirements.
We hope you found this article useful. If you found this useful, leave us a comment. We are always open to feedback, so make sure to leave a comment if you have feedback or suggestions for us.